Phi Delta Theta – Iowa State’s History
The Iowa Gamma Chapter of Phi Delta Theta was founded on Iowa State University’s campus in 1913. From 1913 to 1997 the chapter was located at 325 Welch Avenue in Ames, Iowa. However in 1998, the chapter moved into the old Alpha Phi Sorority house on Sunset Drive across from Sorority Circle.
The ISU Phi Delts have had a long history of academic achievement as well as involvement on-campus and the surrounding Ames community. They have been consistently ranked in the top ten for fraternity GPA and are one of the few remaining fraternities to participate in every major Greek event on campus (Homecoming, Varieties, and Greek Week). Additionally they represent leadership in many on campus organizations and have held executive positions in Freshmen Council, VEISHEA, Blood Drive, Homecoming Central, and Dance Marathon.
The Harvard Trophy, given to the Best Overall Large Chapter of Phi Delta Theta, is seen frequently within the Iowa State Chapter of Phi Delta Theta. Over their 100-year history they have won the Harvard Trophy 17 times, including five consecutive wins between the years of 2000 and 2004. When the old Harvard Trophy was retired several years ago, it took up permanent residence within their chapter facility.
The Chapter House
During the summers of 2013 and 2014, the Iowa Gamma Chapter of Phi Delta Theta underwent a 1.4 million dollar interior renovation. This renovation included a new sprinkler system, study rooms, cold-air sleeping, and overall house improvement! In 2016 the exterior of the house also went through a renovation!
- Cost of Living: $4,150 (in-house) or $500 (out of house)
- Style of Living: 2-3 Person rooms with cold-air sleeping
- Internet: High Speed LAN connection plus Wi-Fi
- Chapter Size: 115 Members
- Freshmen: In-house living encouraged; not required
- Live-In House Mother
- House Cook – provides 9 home-cooked meals per week
- Kitchen – 24/7 access with wide array of appliances
- Outdoor patio and grill
- Living Room – fully furnished with leather furniture, fireplace, and piano
- TV Room – 65” HDTV with seating for over 35 members
- Free washer and dryer
- Free printer and scanner access
- Scholarship Room
- Outdoor basketball hoop
- Iowa State University bus stop nearby